Friday 9 January 2015

Easiest Fish pie ever

So another recipe - well it has been a while since I've blogged ;)

I have always thought fish pie was so hard to make yet this simple recipe and method will be getting you chewing up that Omega 3 ;)

First pick what fish you want, yup I have tried this recipe with mixed fish, salmon, monkfish and haddock (unsmoked and smoked) and each time its been scrummy!!

Once you've picked your fish (you will need a small piece for every person you are catering for - me and my 2 smallest Mouselings will only eat fish so I use 3 small portions for is and I often get a serving for lunch) cut it up into pieces and spread into your pan.

Then you will need to peel and quarter them enough potatoes (I do 6 medium sized for a dish for 4). Add them to a pan of boiling water and then drain when soft right through. Return to the saucepan add a splash of milk, enough to cover the bottom of the pan ( if intolerant to milk then add your alternative) and two tablespoon of Marge (again if intolerant use your alternative - I use vitalite as its dairy free) and then mash. If you don't own a masher go old school and use a fork.  Mash until fluffy and then leave to one side.

Now for the tricky bit the sauce, however you get this and then you have got the base to most creamy sauces without the cream for us with intolerance lol

15g Marge (I use stork again the brick version NOT the spread as the spread is not lactose free whereas the block is)

1/2 milk (again use your alternative)

And some chopped parsley

2 tablespoons of chopped parsley

Melt the Marge in a saucepan when melted add the parsley. Stir the flour in to make a wet paste. Slowly add the milk and stir constantly to make a creamy sauce (if it thickens too much don't worry add more milk). When the sauce is ready pour over the fish.

Add you mash on top and smooth it out across the pan over the fish and sauce.  To make it look nice and gain those lovely crispy bits your mum used to do with that Shepard's pie get a fork and make lines vertically across then do the same horizontally so making a square pattern.

Cook in a pre heated oven of 200° until the mash potatoe is  golden on top.  Before serving and because its always good to check just dip your knife into one side and check if the fish has cooked. Mine always seems to be cooked as it is steamed from the sauce while under the potatoes keeping it melt in your mouth.

Enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Disclaimer: I am not a Chef I do not cook for a living I'm just a mum of 3 with good easy recipes on a strict low budget that I want to show are easy, you can cook healthy and you can cook good food even when your like me and can't eat anything ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment